Almost here

December 27th, 2013 7 comments

The new edition of Don’t Make Me Think (Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited) is finally about to escape the containment.

DMMTR cover 389x500In fact, the eBook version should be available today, and Amazon currently says they’ll be shipping the papyrus version next Friday (January 3rd). I tend to believe them, because in my experience they’re almost always smart enough to underpromise and overdeliver.  [UPDATE: It’s shipping from Amazon now—12/30. Kindle and eBook are available, too.]

I’m looking forward to seeing a copy myself.

If you’ve ever published a book, you know how much work goes into designing a cover. And if you haven’t, take my word for it: Coming up with a book cover can involve as many stakeholders, constraints, requirements, tradeoffs, and religious debates as designing an entire Web site, and sometimes takes almost as long.

In this case, for instance, it had to be similar enough to the original cover so people would understand that it’s the same book. But at the same time it had to be different enough that they’d also understand it wasn’t the same book—if you see what I mean.

Like most design projects, the whole thing was pretty interesting, and maybe one of these days I’ll write something about it.

Cover prototypingFor now, though, I just wanted to share a few photos of part of my personal [some might say compulsive] approach to the process.

Each time we came up with a new design, I’d print it out on photo paper, trim it to size, and attach it to the marked-up copy of the previous edition that I carried with me everywhere for six months while I was writing. I’d use removable glue-stick so I could peel it off later and replace it with the next iteration.

I found that carrying the new design around on a real book was the best way to get a feel for what worked about it and what still needed improvement.

The inspiration for this was clearly the story I’ve always loved about how Jeff Hawkins cut out a block of wood the size and shape of the Palm Pilot, then carried it around for months in his shirt pocket pretending to use it to take notes, look up phone numbers, etc. If you’ve never heard the story—or even if you have—check out this post by Alberto Savoia on the idea of pretotyping (as opposed to prototyping): My favorite pretotype story.

1. Christopher Whitmey
    December 27th, 2013 at 09:47 | #1

Hurray ! An excellent Chistmas/NewYear present. Please write about the design project.
    Does e-book = Kindle?
    Just looked @ 14:14 GMT UK and not available. I’ll check later

2. Steve Krug
    December 27th, 2013 at 10:10 | #2

I’m told the Kindle version should appear today, too. We’ll see.

3. Wolfram
    January 24th, 2014 at 04:18 | #3

What about the instructions for building a Brundleyfly camera (see p.162 of DON’T MAKE ME THINK). Can’t find them on your webpage. aren’t you delivering ?

4. Steve Krug
    January 24th, 2014 at 04:28 | #4

@Wolfram

You’re right on all counts: I promised instructiona (and a sample video), and they’re not there yet. Deeply sorry.

My only excuse is that I’ve had two prolonged maladies (stomach bug and bronchitis) since right before the book came out, and have spent much of that time lying around on the sofa feeling like a limp dishrag (or sweating off a fever). I also had a piece of family business that needed to be attended to. (Excuses, excuses.) I wake up feeling [a little bit] bad about it every morning, but by nightfall somehow life has continued to intervene and it’s still not done. (Yes, I did make time to take my family to New Orleans for four days in January, but that was another, slightly more sacred promise. When you’re writing a book, you tend to be absent a lot.)

Give me one more week, please. (I’ll post on the blog and tweet it when it’s ready.)

Thanks

5. Christopher Whitmey
    January 24th, 2014 at 10:36 | #5

@Steve Krug
    Sorry – should have let you know. Bought Kindled version and enjoying. Hope your feeking better and personal bugs are soon dealt with ;-)

6. March 27th, 2014 at 11:42 | #6

nice ;-)

7. Wolfram
    March 27th, 2014 at 13:27 | #7

@Steve Krug
    Gave you more than two months(!) but still can’t find the promised instructions …. sigh. Will it take another 14 years till the update appears in your blog or did I miss something ?!?