Help me write a Teacher’s Guide?

June 9th, 2014 14 comments

Do you use Don’t Make Me Think in a course that you teach?

I could use your help.

One of the biggest surprises I’ve had since I wrote it has been the amount of email I’ve received from two groups:

• Teachers who have been assigning it, and
  • Students who have read it.

Honestly, I never in a million years would have thought that it might end up being used in classrooms, so it was a very pleasant surprise. And I felt glad that I wasn’t responsible for subjecting people to one of the big fat books I had to wade through as a student. Score one more for short books.

My publisher has always wanted me to create a teacher’s guide, and frankly I’ve always resisted because, well, it involves writing. But now that the new edition (Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited) is out and I’ve almost caught my breath, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and start working on one.

So if you’re a teacher who’s used it in a course, I’d love to hear from you.

I have some ideas of my own, but I’m sure people have come up with great assignments, projects, discussion topics…even quiz questions, and I’d really like to include some of them. Please email your syllabus (or a link to it) or anything you’re willing to share to skrug@sensible.com. Feel free to include some brief thoughts about what (if anything) you’ve found valuable in teacher’s guides.

Thanks!

P.S. If you’ve been using Rocket Surgery Made Easy, I’d love to hear from you about that, too, even though I’m only working on the guide for Think right now.

Categories: Other
  1. December 7th, 2014 at 08:23 | #1

Hi, I absolutely love your book and think that creating some teaching material would be excellent. But as someone who finds it hard to concentrate for more then 3 mins I usually find learning from video much easier and so would love it if you could do something with Lynda.com or Coursera obviously the latter is much more acedemic but the first already has some great learning on UX and anything you did would be a great addition.

• Steve Krug
      December 15th, 2014 at 17:14 | #2

Thanks, Justin. I like video myself, but I’ve never quite been able to figure out what to do or how to do it. My workshops for years now have been hands-on, so people actually get guided experience of doing usability tests. It’s hard to translate that (the hands-on part) to a video. But I’ll keep thinking about it. (I do appreciate the encouraging words.)

2. Michelle Ward
    January 13th, 2015 at 12:35 | #3

Steve,
    I use your “Don’t Make Me Think” book as a resource for my Web Page Design 1 & 2 classes in high school. Textbooks that I found and use mainly show the “how” and not the”why” of web designing. It is still a work in progress, but when I find my happy medium, I will send you a syllabus and how I use it in class.

3. February 25th, 2015 at 16:56 | #4

Hi Steve
    Great book! But please don’t look at our website. Lol! not useability friendly. We are good at developing training systems for emergency personnel so perhaps we can help? Interested in a barter?

4. August 2nd, 2015 at 20:18 | #5

Mr. Krug,
    Your book “Don’t Make Me Think Revisited” was required reading along with “Information Architecture for the World Wide Web” by Morville & Rosenfeld, and “Communicating Design” by Dan Brown for my Information Architecture class at Univ. of N. Texas at Denton (http://catalog.unt.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=10&coid=33093).

I enjoyed your book the best. Perhaps one of the professors at UNT who use your book in their class would be willing to help you write a Teacher’s Guide (http://lis.unt.edu/faculty). Perhaps Dr. Jiangping Chen would be your best bet. You can find her contact info and syllabus for Info Architecture at this link: https://faculty.unt.edu/editprofile.php?onlyview=1&pid=1049.

Thank you for your book!!

5. Steve Krug
    August 6th, 2015 at 10:57 | #6

@Kelly
    Thanks, Kelly. I appreciate it. (Still working on the Teacher’s Guide, believe it or not. World’s slowest writer, I’m afraid.)

6. Daniela Nikolaeva (DaNI)
    October 13th, 2015 at 15:17 | #7

Hi Steve,

I am a professor at the Art Institute of California, San Francisco. I use your book in my Information Architecture class, together with “Information Architecture for the World Wide Web” by Morville & Rosenfeld. I’d love to collaborate with you on a Teachers’ guide.

7. Greg Ledger
    October 28th, 2015 at 17:01 | #8

I swear I’m going to have my website up by the weekend (I said several weekends ago).

Anyway, the co. I work for was in the business of publishing textbooks and teacher’s guides. We dropped education years ago, but I’m still in contact with the editors who put together these guides. You may need to consult experts for tests and quizzes, bellringers, activities, etc.

You might also need a good set of credentialed reviewers.

Contact me if you’d like to be put in touch with the people I know. We were commissioned by Elsevier, Pearson, HRH, McDougal-Littel (sp?) so I wouldn’t be connecting you with non-pros.

8. James Prather
    December 4th, 2015 at 20:47 | #9

Hi Steve! I’m a computer science professor at Abilene Christian University and I use your books in my classes. I use Don’t Make Me Think! in HCI 1 (along with Norman’s Design of Everyday Things) and I use Rocket Surgery Made Easy in HCI 2. The students love your books (as do I)! I would love to collaborate with you on this teacher’s guide. Just let me know what I can do to help.

9. December 20th, 2015 at 12:31 | #10

Hi, Steve
    Im going to use your book a a resource to teach academics how to improve their university web sites. I you like we could exchange experiences on what it worked and what did not. Either with your guide or my own. (It will have lot of inspiration from your book)

10. February 12th, 2016 at 14:30 | #11

Hello Steve
    I wish I could be able to express great thoughts in simple language as you did in you book Don’t make me Think.

Next I am going to read Rocket Surgery Made Easy.

11. lynn boyden
    April 11th, 2016 at 12:09 | #12

Hi Steve,
    I’ve used your book in my class since it came out (the first time). Let’s talk, if you’re still working on this project. –lynn

12. Alison Marshall
    April 15th, 2016 at 17:31 | #13

I am using your books for a new course that we have just started running next year at degree intro level. We are also developing another course for third-year students so would love any resources, or to help review if you are still working on it. I’ll let you know how the assessments go once the students have completed them.

13. July 1st, 2016 at 18:12 | #14

I use your book in my web development courses, I also love and recommend Rocket Surgery Made easy. I’m in the middle of completely rewriting my curriculum to combine web and mobile interface design while bringing in a new degree in Mobile Design and Development. I’m also working on a PH.D. In Instructional design. I would be interested in working with you,